Thursday, October 15, 2009

Watch out with your social networks!

Just a friendly reminder to watch out what you say online and who can access that information. On the safe side, set your facebook to private so only your friends can see and be careful who you friend.

I was sent to my teacher's facebook page by someone else who suggested it would be of interest to me. Her page is not private and right there in her status update were several rants about her students and how dumb they are. Set out as a seperate status update, she made it clear that she thinks I'm an idiot based on a question I asked. She also sounded upset that I'd even asked a question when the class period before she'd been begging students to email her! Basically she didn't like my project idea that I sent in asking if it was ok to do. Our project is due Monday and I've got to work on it. Her email to me said it was great and to "go for it," but then on facebook she ranted about how dumb it is since it doesn't fit the traditional definition of ---------- which we are analyzing in our project.

I'm not quite sure if I should rush to find another project based on her disgust with me on facebook or just cross my fingers that she'll grade with the false enthusiasm of her email.

Any ideas guys?

6 comments:

  1. Wow, this is surprising that a teacher, of all people, would not be more careful of what they say and do. I personally would change my project idea only if I have a better idea in mind that I KNOW the teacher would like. However, if there was work I had already put into the project, I would continue down this path under the assumption that she likes the idea, considering thats what she told you.
    ~Good luck with the project :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually talked to Dr. C about it since I was pretty upset and he seems like he knows just about everyone and everything around campus. He said it sounds like grounds to get out of the class and get a refund. At this point, that would be a dream come true.

    It almost seems like with all the blog/facebook/twitter oops's that people make that hurt customer relationships, company image, divulge company secrets, or coworker/boss relationships that we should have a part of a lecture day on the topic. Quite a few people seem to mess it up.

    I just wouldn't want head haunchos at any company to start making rulings sensoring their employees content production on the web. I have another prof who friended me and keeps up with his student's is an acceptable fun mannor. Everyone love it. I'm also friends with my boss and we've actually improved our working relationship through facebook. It's a great thing IF it's done right. Maybe junior high will have a social networking etiquette class one day instead of the computer lit/typing class I had back then. Afterall, by middle school kids are typing and actively engaging in social networking behavior.

    Come to think of it, putting together curriculum to teach kids how to properly handle social media might have made a good project. I bet if you did good enough training programs, companies would buy it for their employee training programs too. UCCS sure needs it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting post. It seems we will never know who will be reading our social media pages. Sorry for your bad experience, but it is a good reminder of how careful we need to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I agree that people need to use their filters - on and offline! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ultimately, I decided to drop the course after bringing the issue to the chair of the department and asking the teacher to apologize to the other student she singled out and called an idiot on her facebook. She said she didn't have anything to apologize for and the chair seemed to think it was dumb and that it didn't matter since "It won't affect her views on grading the essays and projects." Most of the course, exams and project, were all essay and left wiggle room in the grading.

    Next step is to petition the university to give me my money back since it was dropped late. If they don't I'll be more than willing to share the story including teacher's name with everyone I can on every form of media I can get on...and I know some of the local TV news guys from my days of shooting video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is embarassing at times what people will post on Facebook! I had a similar mishap in class last semester, but the reverse. One of my teachers decided to look up teacher ratings of himself on the projector during class. Needless to say some students had wrote inappropriate messages about him. I felt like the class needed to apologize to him. Embarassing!

    ReplyDelete